How to make a concept map. A concept map or conceptual diagram is a diagram that depicts suggested relationships between concepts. It is a graphical tool that designers, engineers, technical writers, and others use to organize and structure knowledge. Often it is used as a learning and teaching technique.
A concept map typically represents ideas and information as boxes or circles, which it connects with labeled arrows in a downward-branching hierarchical structure.
The relationship between concepts can be articulated in linking phrases such as causes, requires, or contributes to.
Benefits of Concept Mapping
Concept mapping serves several purposes for learners:
- Helping students brainstorm and generate new ideas
- Encouraging students to discover new concepts and the propositions that connect them
- Allowing students to more clearly communicate ideas, thoughts and information
- Helping students integrate new concepts with older concepts
- Enabling students to gain enhanced knowledge of any topic and evaluate the information
Concept Map Examples
The samples you see below were created in Grafio using the concept map stencils. You can download any sample and open it in Grafio.